By James Gosling
Cats are basically predators and they will hunt down their prey instinctively. If you have a cat at home then you need to first get pet supplies for your cat so that he is always fit and healthy. But remember, in spite of the fact that you feed them if they see a rat they will still pounce instinctively and kill it. But house cats can sometimes become lazy and sleep their time off. There are certain exercise techniques that you can follow to keep them agile, awake and fit.
Cats can be a little trickier because the type of play that they engage in is different than that of dogs. Cats engage in either social play, which is the romp, wrestle, and chase that you see between littermates or between cats living in the same household. Or they engage in object play, which is where they will stalk, pounce, chase and play with an object so they can kill it. Object play is what you should focus on when it comes to exercising your cat. There are many interactive type play toys on the market that work, and many can be found in pet supplies stores. Several of these are detailed later. Whatever game you and your cat enjoy will work, just remember to keep up the pace for fifteen minutes.
What are the benefits?
The benefits you will experience for a regular exercise routine are endless.
• Pets who have had their bodies and their minds stimulated by regular play tend to act out problem behaviors less frequently
• Your pet will be gaining social skills by interacting with you on a regular basis
• The bond between you and your pet will be strengthened, creating an even happier home life for you both.
• You will get exercise right along side your pet
• Your pet's health will be improved so that they can live a longer and healthier life
Here are a few exercise that your cat can do on a regular basis to keep fit. Apart from exercise, you should always take him to the vet whenever possible and get pet health check-up done. Pet supplies are also important because only if your cat eats well will he be able to stay fit through exercise. So assuming that you have the pet supplies and have got a pet health check-up done, here are some exercises:
• Use a toy that is interactive for your cat and either has a rat tail or bird feathers. Move it like the rat or like a bird and see your cat leap and trying to catch it. This exercise is great for their predatory skills too.
• Set up a box, and make tunnels that are soft-sided. These will be like small or mini obstacle courses that will not only help your cat get his quota of physical exercise and predatory skills but will keep him healthy and fit always. There are plenty of tunnels, small walls, boxes that can be made using cardboard. But remember if you are putting your cat through exercise then you need to feed him well too and hence always have ready pet supplies.
• Cats like anything that moves even if it is a tennis ball or a yarn ball. Get a tennis ball for him and watch him play with it as the ball keeps moving. If you are lucky, you will get to see him play some serious soccer!
• You can encourage your cat to scratch by using an interactive toy near a tall post. This will enable cats to stretch, which will help tone the muscles of their back and shoulders, and the overall pet health.
• Toy balls on a slick surface floor can peek some kitties interest
• Catnip toys can also aid in getting your cat into the game
• Laser toys are a big plus with many cats (Though hazardous if pointed in the eyes)
As well as all of these techniques you can also create a fake tree inside your home or let your cat jump off the branches of a small tree in your garden. This kind of exercise will help him to improve his balance as well as co-ordination.
About the author:
If you need further information on pet supplies, including cat toys, catnip and cat grooming visit our resource center. We also have a great directory of articles and pet forum with pet health issues on hundreds of related subjects.
Article Source: http://www.Free-Articles-Zone.com